Think of having the Internet for everyone, everywhere. OneWeb, will build a new global communications system in a joint venture with Airbus Group, reveals details of its network and launch strategy as well as the funding from a group of leading international companies.
- OneWeb has raised $500 million of funding from a group of leading international companies, including Airbus Group.
- The funding allows OneWeb to further develop key technologies to enable affordable broadband for rural and underdeveloped locations.
- The OneWeb User Terminals are optionally solar powered, and with their embedded LTE, 3G, 2G and Wi-Fi access capabilities will extend the mobile operator’s reach.
- The network will also provide unprecedented speeds and low latency access to ships, planes, trains and oil platforms while providing seamless interoperability with Intelsat’s fleet of Ku band satellites.
- Tom Enders, Airbus Group CEO and Sunil Bharti Mittal, Founder and Chairman of Bharti Enterprises will be joining Sir Richard Branson, founder of the Virgin Group, Dr. Paul Jacobs, Executive Chairman of Qualcomm Incorporated, and Greg Wyler, founder of OneWeb, on the Executive Board.
- Following the announcement on June 15 of the joint venture between OneWeb and Airbus Group (pending regulatory approvals) to design and manufacture 900 microsatellites, OneWeb has announced the largest commercial rocket acquisition ever of more than 65 rockets including 21 Soyuz launch orders from Arianespace and 39 launches from Virgin Galactic’s LauncherOne.